Seven years since Greg’s untimely death, the Gregory J. Reiter Memorial Fund continues to support high-impact programs to benefit both animals and people — support that matters more than ever in tough economic times.
During the third quarter of 2022, the Greg Fund made fresh grants to:
1 – People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) – Cruelty Investigations and Equine Matters Departments – in memory of my recently deceased horse Henry, who PETA rescued and Greg and I adopted in 2014.
PETA’s big news this quarter included:
- An exposé of unregulated Quarter Horse racing — and the drugging, whipping, and electroshocking that has led to fatal outcomes for horses and their jockeys at over 100 “bush tracks” from California to Virginia. More in the Washington Post Aug. 5-7 article A Horse Track with No Rules, and in my Aug. 10 Letter to the Editor This is no Sport.
- Securing the closure of Envigo, a Virginia breeding and research facility, and the release of 4,000 surviving beagles for adoption across the United States — thanks to its undercover investigation, and work with Virginia and U.S. legislators and government officials. More in this Sep. 13 Envigo Rescue Update, in the Sep. 11 L.A. Times column The seizure of thousands of mistreated beagles sparks unsettling questions about animal research, and in the Aug. 25 Newsweek article Meghan and Harry Welcome New Rescue Beagle to Montecito Home.
2 – Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) — for The Exam Room podcast on plant-based health, which just celebrated the milestone of 10 million downloads in 150 countries.
This quarter’s Greg Fund-sponsored episodes included:
- 30 Years of Diets: Are We Any Healthier?
- Fit After 40: Feel 20 Years Younger Inside and Out
- Speeding Up Metabolism After 40
- Foods that Improve Memory Naturally
While this fund runs primarily on resources Greg left behind, I am always grateful for additional donations from generous friends like you!
Contributors in 2022 to date include:
- Greg Bell
- Ting Yi Bell
- Jeana Curro
- Andrea Dyar
- Gary Hardy
- Rob Haworth
- Susan Johnson
- Stephanie Jones in memory of Betty White
- Keith Kemplin
- Malita Kim
- Ilona Lantos
- Emily Perryman
- Lindsey Sanders
I close with a tribute to Marina, who died of cancer July 26, 2022. Greg and I adopted her Oct. 16, 2010, through a private program that rescues dogs from overcrowded public shelters. Marina was truly my best friend after losing Greg on Oct. 16, 2015 — but seven years on, the time came for her to go find him again.